Monday, June 1, 2009

Beans, beans, the magical fruit!

I won't be entertaining you with the rest of that song this evening, but with a recipe! We love beans around here (admittedly, some more than others.) I use them in most things I make these days. My current favorites are the black bean and the pinto bean. To celebrate these wonderful little legumes, I am going to share a recipe with you that is now a Scott familiy favorite (aka, I've fed it to my family more than once and they like it!)

The Scott Clan's Cheesy Bean Burritos

Ingredients:
1lb velveta cheese (or something comparable), cut up into cubes
4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
4 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 large can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
2 cans chopped green chillies
1 medium onion, chopped

Put all of these lovely items in a large pan and put the heat between medium and low. Stir every few minutes until it's nice and hot and the cheese is melted. Serve on burrito sized tortilla shells. Tonight we paired this lovely dish with a bowl of fresh fruit (strawberries, mulberries; from our tree, and red raspberries) as well as slices of cucumber and carrot sticks.

You can EASILY turn this into a queso dip by adding some salsa and more velveta cheese (we've done it!), yum! And now that I think about it, some chives or green onions would be divine as well..... moving on :D

No comments: