Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Adventures with McGuffey's Readers

Over the past year, I've heard the name "McGuffey's Readers" floating through the air as I read blogs and interacted with other homeschooling moms online.  I knew they were published a long time ago (1879 for the revised editions), I knew that they were once used in One-Room school houses across America, and I knew they were a non-consumable resource that could be used from learning to read through the high school level, all of which appealed to me.

They are available to view online for free, and had I been ambitious enough, I could have printed them for myself!  After looking them over for a few weeks, I came to the conclusion that they would be a good investment for our family and instead of placing an order for the consumable workbooks for LA that I originally planned on purchasing, I purchased our very own set of McGuffey's Eclectic Readers & Spelling Book, revised editions.  Once they arrived, I spent a week looking them over, doing more researching online to learn even more about how others have used them.  I took the knowledge that I gained, my own personal philosophies and outlined my simple plan for each of my students (there currently are three who will use these).

To be continued.... :)

No comments: