Thursday, June 19, 2008

Squeamish!

I've thought a lot recently about how living in mid-class America has made everyone (myself included!) squeamish about EVERYTHING! I myself had wrestled with being squeamish about needles, internal organs (lol), giving birth, breastfeeding, my own body, killing animals for food (still don't know if I could do that) , but I mean really, come on! What would happen to us if all our creature comforts were taken away? What if we had to raise and kill our animals instead of having the luxury of a grocery store? What if we had to get out in the dirt and till the land to have fruits and vegetables? What if we did not have drugs that took away our "symptoms" for anything from the common cold to arthritis to child birth? What if someone took away our electricity (which would in turn take away our air condition, running hot water, TV's, Internet, game systems, the list could go on!)?

Lately I've been looking at my life through a different set of rose tinted glasses. We all have glasses that we wear when we look at the world and our lives, it's call perspective. My perspective has changed slowly over the last several years and I find this deep yearning to get back to the simple, basic things of life that we as a culture have forgotten. I find myself whining about things like being too hot, so hungry, blah blah blah... but then I feel this gentle tugging in the back of my mind and I remember what the bible says.

1 Timothy 6:6-8
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, [fn3] and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.

Those who have little, need little and if they are content with what they have they are more free to give when they are blessed with abundance.

God, can you make my content with the "little" I do have? Can you make me content with LESS? My life should be about so much more than what it is... change my heart.

2 comments:

natedavidscott said...

"Those who have little, need little and if they are content with what they have they are more free to give when they are blessed with abundance."

good word!

Miss Mandy said...

I'm at the same place right now. We are selling our house to buy a very small (and cheaper) home w/ a little bit of land so we can have a cow, hog & chickens. I can grow my own stuff...just so we can save money & live simpler...I think we'll feel more free.

Bless you two for all you are doing to get out of debt and live meaningful lives.